Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Brandon and I got cable for the first time in our marriage after my surgery. Wow, I forgot what a vice television can be!
With the knowledge that I would be house-bound for at least a month, I thought it absolutely necessary to get the DVR package.

Although it's entertaining, I've noticed that I have been excessively watching shows that leave me feeling unhappy, and even the commercials leave me feeling like there is so much I desperately need.



I am a murder mystery fanatic, should have gone into forscenics for sure. But after watching four episodes in a row of "The First 48 hours" or "Snapped" I was noticing that I was feeling rather depressed throughout my day.


I also love shows about paranormal activity. Please don't ask me why. I just do. I don't even know what I believe about ghosts and such, but I find it very interesting. The only problem is that these sorts of shows tend to come on at night, and I've been having a hard time going to sleep unless my husband is in the room with me. Not so good!


So yesterday I decided to take a break from TV and to head off to the library for some alternate entertainment.


I was browsing the aisles for a treasure to take home, when I remembered a favorite series that I used to read as a little girl.

I headed over to the Children's section and scooped up several books written by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

I returned home and curled up with "The First Four Years" a book that I couldn't remember having read.

I soon remembered why I fell in love with this series as a little girl.
You see, I am a simple country girl at heart. No matter where I live,
city or town, I seem to carry that with me.

I love Laura's gentle voice, her beautiful descriptions of the hardships she faced, her simple joys and new beginnings. I also love the descriptions of her cozy little farm house.


Her stories are written without complexity, without fancy words or ideas. But for that reason, her stories tug at my heartstrings.

It's like I found a forgotten friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment