Saturday, June 20, 2009

Our Miracle Cottage

This morning I woke up to the bright sun shining through the windows. It provided me with a dose of nostalgia, reminding me of the first few nights we spent when our little house was brand new.

I'll never forget that month. We had finally made the decision to move to Spokane. I had resisted the mere idea of moving for years. If there was one thing I knew, it was that I was a Seattle girl.
There was no way I would even think about moving away from my family or my favorite city. At the time, Brandon and I had schedules as different as could be. Even when we did have time together at home, he was such a night owl, and I valued my sleep, so the time we spent together was becoming less and less.

Fortunately, his parents realized that we were in a bit of a rut, and sent us to a marriage retreat one weekend. It was so great to just spend time together without distractions. We were both made aware of the intimacy we were missing. I was immediately convicted. I knew that I needed to allow God to plant us in a foreign soil that we could grow together.

I finally accepted that I needed to let go of my family in order to make a life with my husband. It was really difficult for me, but looking back, I'm so thankful that this is the path we chose.

After the decision was made, Brandon immediately went to Spokane to search for a house while I stayed home to pack. He called me one day and said that he found the one. Once I saw the pictures of the beautiful porch, the tall ceilings and how charming it was, I knew as well that this was it. We made an offer, and waited weeks for the sellers to get back to us.

Finally, our hearts were crushed when we heard that they had accepted another offer. We were absolutely devastated.

My mother-in-law told us to keep praying, that she still felt that this was the house. So pray we did. I've never prayed so hard in my life!

We soon heard that they were about to sign papers. I still couldn't let go. I decided to write the sellers a letter telling them how badly we wanted the house. I figured it couldn't hurt.

Then we got the call. It turned out that the sellers had never been made aware that there was second offer on the table. There was some deception on the part of their realtor, who was trying to get the house sold to a friend of his. The potential buyers had even come in and remodeled the bathroom to bring it up to FHA loan standards, and unbelievably, the buyers still decided to go with us.

I drove all the way from Seattle and didn't get there until 1:00 am. When I finally drove up my heart really did skip a beat. It was even bigger than I had imagined! It was so perfect in every way. We slept on the dusty floor with candles lit around us, and giggled with excitement as we fell asleep.

This house is our miracle house. Our marriage has grown so much deeper and stronger since we made it our home. Nowadays we spend every minute together, and I can't imagine it any other way. I am so fulfilled and so happy here. And even though I miss my family deeply, I can see that this little house will soon be filled with our little family. Something I cannot wait for.

God is so faithful. It baffles me to think that the creator of this universe thinks about the desires of my little insignificant heart. And in his own time, he makes them a reality. It's not the biggest fanciest house on the block, and it may be a humble home, but it's our home. And that makes it a mansion to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment