Monday, March 23, 2009

Surgery





Oh my goodness.... I just got a call from the surgeon's office that I have been working with, and they want to move my spinal fusion to monday. As in next MONDAY!!

This is a girl with a very similar case to mine, although my curve is a bit more severe in the middle and less severe than her lumbar curve. We also have a very similar body type and weight. I hope to recover with similar results to hers (she's sooo skinny!) only my surgery does not require a anterior/posterior cut which means I will have several small incisions on my side instead of the large "filleted" cut down my back. So that's good news for me!

People that have had this surgery done say it feels like you have literally been run over by a truck. Every part of your torso has to resettle after this surgery, and this causes a lot of pain and discomfort. I'm hoping to gain an inch or two in height, I'm 5'7" right now, so I am imagining 5'9" which would be a fun change. I also think the fact that my posture will be perfect will make me look a lot taller (although awkward as well). I will have two surgeries performed on me in the span of seven days. I will most likely be in the hospital for at least a week. After that I will be staying with my sister Moriah, and my mom and Brandon will be there to help me recover. After about a month I should be weaned off of pain pills and should be able to head back to work to call bingo and do other simple activities. After about six months I should be completely healed. I really will have a new lease on life. But monday? Seriously??!

No comments:

Post a Comment