Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Upstairs

I'm playing with a few decorating ideas for our upstairs living room that needs some new life. The "L" shaped couch will fit in awkward corner that conceals the chimney. This living room is in between our two guest rooms. I'm going to be taking sewing lessons after my surgery, so I'd love to have a craft table like this one to store fabrics and art materials and also to use for my sewing machine. The room in its present state has paneling that was poorly installed and wood floor that was patched with large pieces of plywood. We're painting the floor a soft grayish-white which should look good against the bright white of the baseboards. I'm pretty sure we will be sheet rocking and redoing the moulding. We're also adding a very tiny bathroom where the closet is for guests. We have a lot of work to do before this room actually looks good, hopefully it will be done by the end of the summer.
I want this room to have and inviting feel to it. I'm craving soft textures, but I also want to see things that inspire me to be creative which means I will be using a lot more color than I normally would. I also need it to be functional with places for storage. There is a great little nook with a window that Brandon will be building a window seat with storage for books underneath. I will (hopefully) be able to sew a cushion and pillows to make it a nice little reading corner.
I'm thinking of doing a faux brick finish on the wall at the top of the stairwell and painting it a cream color. I love the photo display system from pottery barn and can't wait to display some of Brandon's beautiful photography. I think this room has a lot of potential, I can't wait to get started. If only money grew on trees!


No comments:

Post a Comment